Subject: Re: [boost] How to make tests building faster?
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-20 12:12:47

Le 20/12/11 14:39, Mateusz Łoskot a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I could do to improve
> compile/link-time for tests of Boost.Geometry library.
>

> In total, there are nearly 170 test programs in Boost.Geometry.
> Obviously, running the whole set of tests (b2 command issued in
> libs\geometry\test)
> is time consuming process.
Could you give some figures?
> I'm wondering if there is any way to reorganise the tests to cut down
> the build (linking) time.
> My first idea is to decrease number of run entries (e.g. [ run
> test_feature_y.cpp ] ) in Jamfiles,
> by building related tests as single test suite program. Conceptually:
>
> [ run test_feature_x.cpp test_feature_y.cpp ]
I guess you will need to reorganize your test so this combination works,
but it should surely reduce the time to run all the tests. One of the
possible problems is that the incremental build could be increased. The
other is the reporting, the run test pass or fail globally (except if
you use a transformation that gives results for specific test).

> Currently, there is no use of Boost.Test features for tests organisation like
> BOOST_AUTO_TEST_CASE
> BOOST_TEST_SUITE
> etc.
>
> I wonder if use of any of the above would help in restructuring tests and
> decreasing number of programs to build.
Yes BOOST_AUTO_TEST_CASE should help to combine several .cpp into an
executable.

> Another aspect of Boost.Geometry tests I'd like to improve is to
> improve tests report output.
> Currently, it is reported as *Passed* or *Failed*.
I would like to be able to have the possibility for "Not applicable" for
configurations on which the test has no sens.
> I presume that using Boost.Test to group tests in suits with test
> cases would improve
> test report providing details about location of failure (which suite,
> which case, or even better).
I have never used it but there is a possibility to get an XML output
with Boost.Test. I don't know if this output could be adapted to the
input the regression test are expecting.

> I'm looking for any piece of advice on the issues discussed above:
> - How to cut down build time of tests?
> - How to improve test output report
> (and keep it suitable for Boost regression testing framework)?
> - Is it advised to switch to use Boost.Test features to manage suites
> and test cases?
I started using Boost.Test and I abandoned it because Boost.Test was
broken on cygwin since I don't remember which version and the report of
individual tests doesn't appear in the regression tests. Of course I
would use it if Boost.Test is supported on this platform and the
regression test report takes care of individual tets.
> (I tried to figure it out browsing tests of other libs, but it
> doesn't indicate any preferred practice).
>
> I'd be thankful for any insights.
Best,
Vicente