Boost logo

Boost :

Subject: Re: [boost] boost modularisation status?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-02 10:32:54

on Sun Jan 01 2012, "Vicente J. Botet Escriba" <> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> this should be considered as a new tool (and in addition it needs
>>> CMAKE build). While I consider the modularization useful, I find that
>>> adding a new build system to Boost will need some official maintainers
>>> of the CMake files for each one of the Boost libraries until the
>>> library authors have taken the time to be familiar with the new build
>>> system. Of course, this will imply that we need regular testers for
>>> both build systems which will be time consuming
>> I understand, but I disagree. There's no reason to make the (already
>> high) hurdles to such a transition stratospherically high. If the
>> Boost community decides to use any given new piece of infrastructure,
>> there's no reason it has to be a protracted process; it can just
>> happen.
> Does this means that the library authors will need to maintain two
> build systems?

No, that would be bad, IMO. My point was that we should not let
ourselves get into such an intermediate state.

>>> Resuming, I think that we need a formal review for CMake build once it
>>> is able to build the whole Boost libraries.
>> Again I disagree. The review process is for libraries, and Boost has
>> never formally reviewed tools like this. I am more than happy to have a
>> discussion about it, and I believe that discussion should inform our
>> decision, but I believe it is possible for the steering committee to
>> make a decision as a matter of policy.
> Oh, as lastly we have started to review also the tools

Oh, we have? Maybe I'm not paying enough attention. Could you clarify?

> I thought it works like that also for a new build system, but you know
> better how Boost works. I think it is time to start this
> discussion. Please could the interested parties start a thread that
> results once for all in a decision on whether CMake based build is
> adopted or not?

It's not time to make such a decision, unless we're going to decide
"no." The system isn't complete yet.

Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

Boost list run by bdawes at, gregod at, cpdaniel at, john at