Subject: [boost] RES: Log Lib!
From: Renato Tegon Forti (re.tf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-03 13:39:10

In a recent research I see:

ACE Log (Trace)
Poco Log

What impressions about these models?

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Jarrad Waterloo [mailto:jwaterloo_at_[hidden]]
Enviada em: terça-feira, 3 de janeiro de 2012 14:40
Para: boost_at_[hidden]
Cc: Renato Tegon Forti
Assunto: Re: [boost] Log Lib!

Yes. I haven't used log4cxx but do use log4j regularly. I really like
categories/"packaged class names" and being able to turn on logging for just
a part of a program.
Here are some things to keep in mind.
1) The existing boost logging library was made part of boost as a simple low
level interface upon which more sophisticated logging could be built upon.
As such you should consider building yours on top of it. That perhaps would
go a long ways with other boosters.
2) C++ and Boost deserves something better than log4?. What I mean is try to
learn from log4?'s mistakes and complications.
     a) If creating an application that host many other applications,
tomcat/apache to the web applications they host, there is a need to have the
options to allow multiple applications use the same logging with a
discriminator or each sub application have its own logging and configuration
in the same program or both
     b) name value property files are so yesterday and verbose. It would be
nice to have something more structured. xml was nice in log4? but fell short
because instead of having custom xsd's for loggers and layouts their
configuration have been devolved to name value pairs. I personally like my
arrays, lists, trees and graphs to look like such.
Perhaps an XSD XML approach. Using JSON or better yet YAML would look even
better.