Subject: [boost] [Boost.smart_ptr] Thread Safety
From: Thomas Jordan (thomasjordan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-07 05:53:20

Sorry, please ignore my previous post - finger trouble. The question is as follows:
------

Hi,
Is shared_array completely thread-safe, including destruction/reference counting? From the code in /boost/detail/sp_counted_base_pt.hpp it looks like it probably is but according to

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_33_1/libs/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.htm#ThreadSafety

// thread A
p3 = p2; // reads p2, writes p3

// thread B
// p2 goes out of scope: undefined, the destructor is considered a "write access"

shared_ptr isn't completely thread-safe for simultaneous read and write/destruct access? The same would presumbly apply to shared_array?
Maybe I've missed something, are there compile-time configuration options to determine level of safety?

Regards,
T.