Subject: Re: [boost] [context] 4 days left on Boost.Context mini-review
From: Giovanni Piero Deretta (gpderetta_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-09 05:11:59

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I've been very pleased with your coroutine library for some time.  I liked
> the complete documentation.  I aways wondered why it wasn't reviewed
> and accepted into boost.

Well, I wasn't actually completely pleased with the documentation. A
real reference section was missing for example. I also always wanted
to tweak the implementation. Then life happened, I got a job and since
then never had enough time to commit to matain it to boost standards.

[...]
> I looked over the documentation of this library. My question is: what is the
> relationship between this library and your coroutine library.  Would this
> be a lower level component of the coroutine library.

Definitely yes. I would say that boost.context contains the
equivaleent of about 90% of boost.coroutine (and more). The rest is
mostly sintactic sugar which can be easily implemented in C++11 with
variadic templates. Note that Boost.Context has a much more
comprehensive set of backends: while Boost.Coroutine only had a Linux
x86 asm backend and relied on fibers or makecontext for portability,
Boost.Context has a much much larger number of native implementations.

> What are the future
> plans for the coroutine library - if any. I had presumed you just lost
> interest in persuing a boost revew and just dropped of the map, Now
> I see you're handling the review for this component.  Is there any
> back story here?

No real back story. While I couldn't give enough time for the
Coroutine library, I was naturally interested in Boost.Context. If
Boost.Context were to be accepted I might try to get Oliver to accept
patches to add the missing parts. If you want that to happens, a
review of Boost.Context would be very wellcome :)

I'll leave Oliver to answer the rest of the questions.

--
gpd