Subject: Re: [boost] Request for Interest in several Modules
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-10 15:49:18

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:15, Artyom Beilis <artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > 1. The boost::extension author reported (when i asked him) a lack in the
> > C++11 standard (without precision) that makes it hard to implement
> > correctly this library on all platforms/compilers (unfortunately he
> didn't
> > say which ones).
> > Do you have any information about that?
> >

> I don't exactly understand what is the problem.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have the details of the problems he reported, but I
sent a mail asking for details. Didn't get an answer yet.
Anyway Boost.Extension is find with most cases it seems so I guess that he
was speaking about runtime mixes.

> You create an entry factory point like
>
> extern "C" {
> foo* bar();
> }
>
> Resolve bar withing shared object/dll and it works 100%

That always was my understanding too.

> As long as you don't mix runtimes i.e. dll and main program uses
> different heaps and so on there is no problems I'm aware of.

It might be the problem, as C++ standard don't define anything about all
this, obviously.

Anyway I like the simplicity of your solution, it seems easy to build on.

Another minor question : what is the rational in choosing std::string in
the interface instead of const char* ?

Joël Lamotte.