Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] Boost.Thread defines boost::move which conflicts with Boost.Move
From: Jürgen Hunold (juergen.hunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-18 11:44:31

Hi Vicente.

On Wednesday, 18. January 2012 01:14:35 Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:
> > Do you know if the test pass for type_traits/common_type on your
> > configuration? or Boost.Chrono?
> >
> > I suspect that there are some configurations that doesn't support it
> > and I should have to use Boost.Chrono conditionally. BTW, which
> > platform/compiler are you using? Please, could you make a ticket, I
> > will try to introduce the conditional use of Boost.Chrono today.

The culprit seems to be that we compile with BOOST_TYPEOF_SILENT #defined.

Please find the testcase from my second mail attached.

I'm working on disabling that in our codebase as it was introduced to
eliminate spurious warnings from Boost < 1.45.0

> I have updated Boost.Thread (Committed revision 76570) so that the user
> can stay that Boost.Thread must not use Boost.Chrono. You need to define
> BOOST_THREAD_DONT_USE_CHRONO to this effect. Please could you update the
> trunk, try it and tell me if this is satisfactory for you?

Vicente, you are too fast for me ;-))

Removing BOOST_TYPEOF_SILENT already helped.

But it seems I have to set BOOST_SYSTEM_NO_DEPRECATED because of:

/home/hunold/src/devel/boost/boost/system/error_code.hpp:214: error: undefined
reference to 'boost::system::generic_category()'
/home/hunold/src/devel/boost/boost/system/error_code.hpp:215: error: undefined
reference to 'boost::system::generic_category()'
/home/hunold/src/devel/boost/boost/system/error_code.hpp:216: error: undefined
reference to 'boost::system::system_category()'

To test this, remove BOOST_TYPEOF_SILENT from my testcases Jamroot.

That is quite unsatisfactory, but can be handled on our side.

The dependency chain of Boost.Pool -> Boost.Thread (Mutex) -> Boost.Chrono /
Boost.System makes me wonder if some separate header-only Boost.Mutex library
might be advisable.

Just my 0.02€

Sorry for the noise.

Yours,

Jürgen

--
Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold       | IVE mbH
Software-Entwickler             | Lützerodestraße 10
                                | Geschäftsführer:
Sitz des Unternehmens: Hannover | Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. Thomas Siefer
Amtsgericht Hannover, HRB 56965 | PD Dr.-Ing. Alfons Radtke