Subject: [boost] Looking for some "real world" extended precision integer arithmetic tests
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-24 04:38:25

Folks,

I'm continuing to add to the multiprecision arithmetic library in the
sandbox (under "big_number"), and I've just added a Boost licensed
fixed-precision integer type which on Win32 at least looks to be very
competitive with GMP for reasonable numbers of bits (up to about 1024), see
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/big_number/libs/multiprecision/doc/html/boost_multiprecision/perf/integer_performance.html

However, as we all know there are lies damn lies and performance stats ;-)
Plus the test results I have above ignore the effect of memory allocations
(needed by libtommath and GMP, but not the fixed_int code - which in theory
should make it faster still). So I'd be really interested to put the type
through it's paces with some real world code that really thrashes an
extended precision integer type. Any suggestions? Anything in Boost?

Thanks in advance, John.