Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Application
From: Joshua Boyce (raptorfactor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-26 03:05:10

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Renato Tegon Forti <re.tf_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> * Is there any interest in this library?
> * If Yes! What are the refinements? (see todo, for some)

1. Yes, there is definitely interest from me at least.

2. The biggest concern for me is that you're using narrow strings
everywhere under Windows, including calling the narrow APIs (e.g.
GetModuleFileNameA). Please consider using wide strings on Windows,
otherwise those of us who require Unicode support in our applications are
unable to use your library. Use of the narrow APIs under Windows is
deprecated and should be avoided anyway... Perhaps you could look at how
Boost.Filesystem handles the Unicode 'fiasco' (wstring vs string for
platform independent libraries)? Just please don't do what
Boost.ProgramOptions does (or at least, did last time I looked), which is
effectively just static_cast'ing wchar_t to char internally when you pass
it wide strings.