Subject: Re: [boost] [c++TR2] N3334, Proposing array_ref<T> and string_ref
From: Yakov Galka (ybungalobill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-31 13:57:26

Feedback on the paper:

1. I support the additions especially since I encountered similar concepts
implemented independently in multiple places, including myself. It seems
like a natural compromise between separate compilation and generality.

2. Instead of adding a bunch of implicit constructors and implicit
conversion operators to each container with contiguous storage one can
proceed as follows.

a) std::contiguous_iterator_tag can be added to the standard (see
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html for
example). It would be a great addition by its own since generic code can
optimize appropriately when ContiguousIterators to
is_trivially_copyable<value_type> are used.

b) Add *one* implicit constructor to array_ref:

template<class R> array_ref(const R& x,
        typename enable_if<
                is_base_of<
                        contiguous_iterator_tag,
                        typename iterator_traits<
                                decltype(begin(x))
>::iterator_category
>::value,
                int
>::type = 0);
// use &*begin(x), (end(x) - begin(x)) to initialize.