Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-09 08:41:06

> > well, you need to have an understanding of what you are doing ... but at
> > least all you changes are stored inside the local repository. if you mess
> > with your local changes, you can revert to them, if you mess with a
> > working copy, you mess with files that you cannot got back to ...
>
> Right, and there are plethora of ways to mess up local copies with git.
> While it might be possible to get back in a sane state it is extremely
> hard.

what is hard about running `git reset'?

> Sorry, I really tried to use git. It is all nice if you are alone and
> keep developing for yourself and push feature. However, when there are
> more people involved, with all kinds of branches etc. I always lost
> track and messed something up.

git has a lerning curve and if you do not know what you are doing, it can be
pretty frustrating ... instead of getting your hands dirty by simply trying
stuff, reading about its concepts before will save you some headache ...

> So, what i would like to see from you guys is a definite guide to use
> git. A description of workflow for both maintainer, contributor and
> whatever other role you can think of, and a playground to test that out.
> Otherwise, I don't see a lot of value in such discussions.

much has beenwritten about possible work flows. the progit book for example
has a nice section about different possible workflows [1]

tim

[1] http://progit.org/book/ch5-1.html