Subject: Re: [boost] PCL - Portable C++ Library
From: Francois Duranleau (xiao.bai.xiong_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-10 08:57:33

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Mathias Gaunard
<mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 02/10/2012 02:19 PM, Christof Donat wrote:
>
>> Is there any interest in here to look into what we
>> could learn from their design?
>
> Their design follows a fairly common opinion in the C/C++ world: templates
> suck, prefer writing compiler plugins or custom preprocessors instead.

Actually, AFAIK, a lot of their base design dates early C++-98 times,
when many compilers they supported did not yet support well some C++
features. So to be as portable as possible, they had to resolve to
this kind of approach. And I think this is also a common misconception
in the C++ world: many think still in terms of such old times and
never updated to today.

--
François Duranleau