Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem.v3] possible bug in replace_extension
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-10 15:43:10

Frédéric Bron wrote:

> > replace_extension seems to have the wrong behaviour if the
> > provided new extension does not start with a dot.
>
> I found that this has already been registered a long time
> ago:
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/5118 (at the time of
> 1.45.0).
> A patch has even been proposed. Could it be fixed for 1.49.0?

I ran into this today. The issue is that replace_extension() extracts the extension() from its argument and uses that as the new extension. Thus, if there's no dot in the argument, it has no extension. That's reasonable for a path argument. Indeed, I think the patch is wrong.

The confusion comes when the argument is a string. An implicit path is constructed from the string and, since it has no dot, there's no extension to replace. I think there should be an overload that takes a string. Then, the whole argument is used as the extension, if it contains no dot, and the tail is used if there is. Reasonable?

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components