Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Julian Gonggrijp (j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-11 14:58:52

Steven Watanabe wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 02/11/2012 08:04 AM, Julian Gonggrijp wrote:
>>
>> So if I checkout branch A (only) and I say "svn revert 2", only the
>> files in branch A will be affected because svn understands that I'm
>> not working on other branches. Is that what you're saying?
>>

> Right, although svn revert is the wrong tool.
> svn revert undoes uncommitted changes to the
> working copy.
>
>> [...] Personally I think history stays as it is -- say at
>> revision 3 -- but that svn replaces the files in my working directory
>> with those from branch A at revision 2. Next I can edit those files or
>> commit them straight away, which would produce revision 4.
>
> Yep.
>
>> [...] I'm still inclined to think that if there
>> was such a thing as undoing history in svn, it would always affect the
>> entire repository rather than just your working branch.
>> [...]
>
> That's true, which is why svn doesn't allow history
> to be changed at all. (Of course, it you have physical
> access to the repository you can delete the most recent
> revisions)

Thanks for all of your clarifications, also in your other response.

(For those who wonder what they mean for the discussion between me
and Julien Nitard: I was right that there is a fundamental difference
between svn and git with regard to branching, while Julien was right
that much of the gitflow branching model can be simulated in svn. I
won't press the matter any more for now.)

-Julian