Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Steven Samuel Cole (steven.samuel.cole_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-11 20:26:56

Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>> What happens when the repo you "publish" the patch from goes away before
>> anyone has a chance t get it?
>
> You mean what happens if you delete your patch/repo? Well, surprise,
> it's gone. :p

In the example of github.com, there's a big red frame around the 'delete
repository' admin section marked 'DANGER ZONE'. It's kinda hard to not
see that and delete a repo accidentally. There's also usually no reason
to do that intentionally as you can always re-sync and re-use the repo
for new development after your first changes were accepted upstream.

another advantage: svn puts a '.svn' folder in every single project
subfolder - and this '.svn' keeps getting in my way all the time.
If you want to get rid of subversion in your local copy, you have to
walk through all the subfolders and delete the '.svn' folder everywere.

under git, you delete one single '.git' folder in the root folder, done.