Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-12 02:22:34

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 04:14:26PM +0900, Julien Nitard wrote:
> > i had a developer run a script that was supposed to 'fix a few things' in the
> > repo history. seemed to work ok on his test repo, but truncated commit
> > messages in the production repo and shifted them by a few commits. this
> > effectively rendered the repo useless.
>
> Now I guess you've heard of backups, that's what they re supposed to
> protect from. Note that hooks are an entirely optional feature managed
> by the admin, not the developers.

Such damage may not be immediately noticeable and if it takes
weeks/months/years to notice, reverting is not as easy as restoring from
backups.

In any way, if you need to perform history cleanup or other tasks as
part of a migration or just sanitation of an existing repo, I would
recommend taking a look at ESR's tool 'reposurgeon' [1].

[1] http://www.catb.org/esr/reposurgeon/

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]