Subject: Re: [boost] [PREDEF] Review for the Boost.Predef library by Rene Riviera
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-18 09:36:25

Hi,

I guess it is ok to ask about details even if the library isn't in review
yet, right? I'm not an expert in architecture so I hope I'm not asking
something obvious.

My understanding is that for example if you're targetting classic PC
hardware, you'll get
BOOST_ARCHITECTURE_X86 for 32Bit OS
BOOST_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 for 64Bit OS (running on 64bit processor).
That assume that the hardware have a "normal" Intel or AMD processor.
Then if it doesn't, it can be other kind of architecture (ARM or other
listed in the defines)

Would it be possible to also provide macros that would tell what is the
"bit size" (I don't know the correct word here) without the architecture
name?
Something like
BOOST_ARCHITECTURE_BITS_32
BOOST_ARCHITECTURE_BITS_64

Again, maybe I'm being naive about this, but I'm thinking about code that
should behave differently under those conditions
and shouldn't have to check all the corresponding architecture macro to
detect wether it's 32 or 64 bits.

Anyway, it's a nice library that would allow me to not have to set some
(certainly flawed) macro myself.

Joël Lamotte