Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in portable integer overflow detection, with policy based handling?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-21 11:18:03

Beman Dawes wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Ben Robinson <cppmaven_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>> The implementation is complete, with 5 policies created (and users
>> can always create and use more). The policies are:
>>
>> ignore_overflow
>> throw_overflow
>> assert_overflow
>> saturate_overflow
>> nan_overflow
>>
>> The implementation is fully portable, and it provides integer types
>> which can be used like the builtin integers, except they will
>> trigger their policy on an overflow.
>>
>> Also, this library will integrate seamlessly with the Boost
>> Constrained Value Library (contributed by Robert Kawulak).
>>
>> Does this pique anyone's interest?
>
> How does it relate to Boost.NumericConversion?
>
> See
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/libs/numeric/conversion/doc/html/index.html

I took a serious look at boost numeric conversion and found it
to be very, very difficult (for me) to understand and use. It could
be just an issue with the documentation. Everytime I had a question
about what it does, I just couldn't find a good answer in the documents.
When I went to look into the code, it wasn't easy either.

Robert Ramey