Subject: Re: [boost] [Predef] Pre-review comments
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-22 04:28:52

On 02/22/2012 07:17 AM, Rene Rivera wrote:
> On 2/19/2012 6:37 AM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:

>> My use-cases
> [...]
>> - Work-around a bug in the GCC backend
>
> Is that with a non-GCC front end?

The bug in question is in the GCC backend, more precisely in the RTL
optimization passes.
I don't really care what frontend is used as long as code eventually
gets through there.

In practice, GCC should be the only compiler to use the GCC backend.
I know that there are compilers though, that use the GCC frontend but
another backend, such as DragonEgg.

LLVM doesn't have this bug so I'd rather not add the workaround when
compiling with DragonEgg.

>> - Define special versions of functions for x86 both 32- and 64-bit
>> - Define special versions of functions for x86-64 only
>
> I have that same use case. And was partly the impetus for me bringing
> back this library. I have cross-language binding code, ObjectiveC <==>
> C++, that needs to make ABI distinctions in these cases.

But your library does not provide a single macro to test whether I'm on
x86 regardless of word size.

I have to do
#if defined(BOOST_ARCHITECTURE_X86) || defined(BOOST_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64)

> PS. Thanks for the comments. And sorry I didn't reply earlier. But The
> start of the week is always busy for me. And some unexpected events made
> the past three days a challenge for my time.

No problem, I was starting to wonder if you'd had seen them though ;)