Subject: [boost] [exception] RFC: patch for printing stacktraces during exceptions.
From: Brett Lentz (blentz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-24 09:57:53

Hi folks!

It's been a few months since I last mailed the list. I've been working on
bringing some forked changes from the Passenger project into Boost due to their
more general applicability.

With some help, I've got a working patch against SVN trunk that enables one of
Passenger's more useful features: obtaining exception stacktraces all the way
through the stack.

However, due to the size of the patch and some namespacing choices made by the
Phusion people, I'd like to get some feedback on this patch to ensure it's
suitable for being brought into Boost.

First, there's some helper classes that Phusion has put in an "oxt" namespace
that I'm not really sure where they should be put or if suitable analogues
already exist within Boost. For the current version of the patch, these files
are simply put into 'boost/oxt' until I have a better location for them.

Second, the current patch uses boost::tracable_exception. I'd like to confirm
whether that is acceptable or whether I should move this to a different
location in the boost namespace.

Finally, any other comments about this patch are welcome. I have attached both
the patch, and some example code that will demonstrate the functionality.

The patch and a simple example are available here:
http://wakko666.fedorapeople.org/boost/

---Brett.