Subject: [boost] Inconsistency between std::minmax and boost::minmax
From: Marshall Clow (mclow.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-24 16:52:10

So, C++11 has been approved, and in the new standard library, there is:

        template <typename T>
        std::pair<const T&, const T&>
        minmax ( const T& a, const T& b )

but in Boost, we've got:
        template <typename T>
        tuple< T const&, T const& >
        minmax(T const& a, T const& b) {

I can easily change boost minmax to return a pair instead of a 2-element tuple, but that's an interface change, and might break existing code.

On the other hand, giving them the same interface will make it easier for people to move to C++11's library functions.

Any opinions? ideas?

-- Marshall

P.S. boost::minmax_element, on the other hand, already returns a pair, not a two-element tuple. I'm pretty sure it doesn't satisfy the C++ complexity requirements, but that's easily fixed.