Subject: Re: [boost] [algorithm] aesthetic question about cxx11
From: Marshall Clow (mclow.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-26 13:58:15

On Feb 26, 2012, at 10:50 AM, lcaminiti wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have an aesthetic question. Boost.Algorithm puts C++11 algorithms like
> all_of into a directory boost/algorithm/cxx11. Would the directory name
> boost/algorithm/cpp11 be preferred?
>
> I think for file names .cpp and .hpp are Boost choice over .cxx and .hxx.
> But for directory names instead cxx11 is Boost choice over cpp11? Similarly,
> shall macros that refer to C++11 be named BOOST_..._CPP11_... or
> BOOST_..._CXX11_...? In general, shall Boost refer to C++11 as cpp11/CPP11
> or cxx11/CXX11? Given that .cpp/.hpp is Boost choice for file names over
> .cxx/.hxx, I'd think cpp11/CPP11 would be Boost choice over cxx11/CXX11...
>
> P.S. I have a similar situation in Boost.Contract where I want to put macros
> to parse C++11 keywords (override, final, etc) in a separated directory and
> I want to name that directory cxx11 or cpp11 consistently with other Boost
> libraries (so users don't have to remember different conventions).

Just to let you know, the directory boost/algorithm/cxx11 has not been a part of any boost release yet (it will be part of1.50), so changing it should not break any existing code.

As to using cxx11 vs cpp11, I don't really have a preference.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow Idio Software <mailto:mclow.lists_at_[hidden]>

A.D. 1517: Martin Luther nails his 95 Theses to the church door and is promptly moderated down to (-1, Flamebait).
        -- Yu Suzuki