Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: Julian Gonggrijp (j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-28 17:23:52

Dave Abrahams wrote:

> on Thu Feb 09 2012, greened-AT-obbligato.org wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> https://github.com/apenwarr/git-subtree
>
> I don't think git-subtree is the right tool for us. Suppose libraries A
> and B both depend on libraries C and D. It would IMO be a disaster if
> the repositories for A and B each included the source to C and D.

I might have misunderstood, but my impression was that git-subtree was
not intended to be used like that in the first place. If I understood
correctly, A, B, C and D would all be subtrees of the Boost supertree,
and developers would be able to tranparently treat any subtree either
as a separate git repository or as an ordinary directory within the
Boost repository at any given time. So both A and B would only include
itself, and C and D wouldn't be included by anything other than the
Boost supertree.

For as far as I can see, it's really a more transparent and more
flexible alternative to submodules.

-Julian