Subject: [boost] [PREDEF] Review
From: Ioannis Papadopoulos (ipapadop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-29 18:00:02

> - What is your evaluation of the design?

The design is straightforward and I find it nice, with some exceptions:
- BOOST_ARCHITECTURE_* is too long (BOOST_ARCH_* is better)
- BOOST_LANGUAGE_* is too long (BOOST_LANG_* is better)
- BOOST_CXX would be better if called BOOST_COMPILER or BOOST_COMP
- There has to be some macro for compilers that do emulation (for
example Intel, PathScale etc appear also as gcc).
- I do not like the fact that all macros are defined with a 0 when the
compiler/arch/whatever is non-existant. I prefer to do
   # ifdef BOOST_CXX_GNU
   # endif
rather than
   # if BOOST_CXX_GNU
   # endif
- BOOST_VERSION_NUMBER allows only 3 numbers. I don't think that this is
the case for all compilers/libraries.
- There are some platforms that have unique features (for example Cray
machines, IBM BlueGene etc). A BOOST_PLATFORM_* macro would be nice.

Including one file includes pretty much everything. It would be more
straightforward if everything was in one file (for example merge
everything in architecture/ in architecture.h). This also solves the
issue of defining macros for things that don't exist.

No considerable problems with the documentation. Maybe it should be
mentioned what the library supports.

> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

I already have something similar in a lot of my codes. I would gladly
remove them and use predef - especially if it detects also platforms.

> - Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have
any problems?

Yes, PathScale is recognized as both gcc and pathscale.

> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
reading? In-depth study?

A quick reading of the documentation and the code. I ran a small test case.

> - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

Yes.

> - Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library?

I think that it should be ACCEPTED with the requirement that all issues
have been resolved; especially the compiler recognition.