Subject: Re: [boost] [git] neglected aspects
From: John Wiegley (jwiegley_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-02 10:56:06

> If you want to know the precise differences between the two, John will have
> to explain them to you... but if you look at the former repository you can
> find lots of spurious-looking branches, e.g. "trunk_at_38326," "trunk_at_38328,"
> etc. So I wouldn't be concerned by the smaller number of branches in the
> latter mirror.

One difference between git-svn and subconvert is that git-svn doesn't preserve
ancient branches which had the same name as current branches.

For example, you create a branch foo, then later delete it, then create a new
branch foo. git-svn will throw away any history related to the first branch
foo.

There are a few other cases where git-svn tosses history to make its job
simpler. Case in point:

  git-svn version of Boost history: 660,068 Git objects
  subconvert version of Boost history: 1,204,586 Git objects

Clearly a lot of something is getting lost on the cutting floor with git-svn.
subconvert's goal is preserve every Subversion revision that every existed
somewhere behind a branch or a tag in the resulting Git repository.

--
  John Wiegley
  BoostPro Computing, Inc.