Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in a reusable stream-based console?
From: Rhys Ulerich (rhys.ulerich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-09 10:58:48

> About the swig/boost.python thing, one thing to understand is that command
> line don't work
> like a programming language. You don't use it for the same purpose, even if
> it's tempting to just let a scripting language
> as the implementation of the console.

They don't?! You need a better command line. :P

Fair enough, I probably wouldn't want to give someone a full Python
interpreter inside a video game. Still, I suspect locking down a full
interpreter is easier than inventing, implementing, and fully testing
a one-off language with reduced capabilities.

Especially because the capabilities will likely need to grow in time
as your users become more advanced. It's nice to one day say "Oh
yeah, that's actually Python" rather than say, "Oh yeah, we need to
re-invent something functionally equivalent to Python but which is
expressed in our in-house language."

- Rhys