Subject: Re: [boost] [git] What's the IDE picture like?
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-16 16:58:20

On 16/03/12 18:01, Rene Rivera wrote:
> All this talk about switching to git brings up one important question for
> me, and I suspect others..
>
> Given all the various git-flow, git-this, git-that, git-whatever, tools
> that are getting mentioned..

Those are just tools that formalize a given workflow.
None of them is necessary.

> What is the process for a user that wants to
> do their development, including version control, like? Specifically what
> does an:
>
> * Eclipse user do?
> * Xcode user do?
> * VIsualStudio user do?

Xcode and Eclipse support git natively. You'll have to get a plugin for
Visual Studio.

> I ask because I'm really tired of learning yet more command lines tools at
> this stage in my life. And even though all GUI tools have drawbacks they do
> have the advantage that they condense the workflow usages to something
> understandable. And I would be really hard pressed to use any new version
> control system that I can't use a GUI. And preferably an integrated GUI.

While most GUIs claim to be able to allow everything the original
command-line utility can do, in truth they are more suited to simple
tasks, more complex ones being better done with the real thing.