Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] [svn] How to remove V2 files without loss of V3 history?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-18 11:27:46

on Sun Mar 18 2012, Daniel James <dnljms-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 March 2012 13:14, Steven Watanabe <watanabesj_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> cd boost/filesystem
>> svn cp ^/trunk/boost/filesystem ^/branches/filesystem_v3/boost/filesystem
>> svn switch ^/trunk/boost/filesystem
>
> Should that be:
>
> svn switch ^/branches/filesystem_v3/boost/filesystem
>
>> svn rm *.hpp
>> svn mv v3/*.hpp .
>> svn rm v2 v3
>> # modify headers
>> svn commit -m "Remove Filesystem V2"
>> svn switch ^/trunk/boost/filesystem
>> svn merge --reintegrate ^/branches/filesystem_v3/boost/filesystem
>> svn commit -m "Merge back to trunk"
>>
>> FWIW, if you're doing this in one go, there's
>> no good reason to create a branch.
>
> Also, if we eventually switch to git, I don't think git will
> understand that the file has moved, since there was already a file in
> the new location. There might be a benefit to having an intermediate
> version with the file missing (although, there might not, I don't how
> well the git conversion will handle it).

I don't think so. John's SVN->Git conversion knows about svn mv
operations, but if you delete and recreate a file somewhere else it
isn't going to realize you moved something.

Of course, Git can often reconstruct that information, as long as it
isn't "crossing branches"... but again I think what you're talking about
isn't going to help.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing