Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Mercurial?
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-19 10:24:43

On 19/03/12 15:02, Daryle Walker wrote:

> Git has a competitor called Mercurial? If we're moving to a Distributed-VCS, should we go to Mercurial instead of Git?
> They're kind-of like CVS vs. Subversion, except I think they came up in parallel. (While Subversion was designed as an updated CVS.)

It's not at all like CVS vs Subversion, in part for the reason you
mentioned...

> I think Git was made up of a bunch of script hacks, while Mercurial was a regimented single program.

That is incorrect.
It's simply following the UNIX philosophy.

> I don't have a preference, but I want to make sure we consider the rival options.

How about we stop wasting time discussing this?
It has been way too long already.

Git is the most powerful versioning system today, is increasingly
popular, and has a vibrant community around it.
While Mercurial is comparable, Git has built-in support for more
advanced features and is more popular in the open-source world.

Most importantly, Git is already being used by several boost libraries.

Hasn't it been years since the idea of moving to Git has been submitted?
What's left to discuss?