Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Mercurial?
From: Oliver Kullmann (O.Kullmann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-20 07:50:38

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:30:31PM +0100, Thomas Heller wrote:
> On 03/20/2012 12:03 PM, Julian Gonggrijp wrote:
> <snip>
> >Basic usage of git is different from basic usage of svn in some
> >crucial aspects, but similar enough for anyone to be able to adjust
> >even if you don't like it. It can definitely be learnt within a day.
> >Why don't you just give it a try? It never hurts to learn something
> >new.
>
> *SIGH* you keep assuming that i never tried git. My last adventure
> with trying to use git was around half a year ago. I still have
> nightmares from that.

Could you please give some example for that?
Git is so easy to learn and use, that is is possible that it could be
your "incompetence" which created your nightmares. "Incompetence"
could have many meanings, good and bad ones. But, as an outsider who
follows discussions on the Boost mailing list, what I can see in
this thread is that people arguing in favour of Git mostly use
concrete arguments, supported by apparently quite some work done
regarding the Boost-Git connection, while people arguing against it
do not seem to present arguments, but mostly only negative emotions.
Like the statement above --- where is some evidence?

I can understand that discussions get a bit heated, and then one reacts
quickly. So no need for big elaborations, only some more concrete hints
under which circumstances you applied Git, what were your expectations,
and where were your problems, so that we can better understand the
above statement.

Oliver