Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Mercurial?
From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-20 21:40:44

Ed(ward), I can give you an anecdote, for DVCSes, though:

I spend around 50 hours in the air every month; yes, a full working week. I rarely have - or want - Internet access on those trips.

Git (and most other DVCSes) allows me to work revisioned, trying our various paths of development, during that working week.

Related, I like to test branches and ideas without having anyone else observing my moves or caring about what I do; so, I can do that, locally, instead of creating obscure or sacred branches in SVN in a common repository.

There are a bunch of more technical reasons why Git is superior to SVN, related to the snapshot representation of files and trees of files, and commits, instead of deltas (such as in SVN.) If a delta chain (or poset...) gets out of sync, you are kind of lost; very hard to recreate the current (or any) consistent state of files.

/David