Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Mercurial?
From: Oliver Kullmann (O.Kullmann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-22 05:17:26

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:01:32AM +0100, Christof Donat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I do not believe for even a second that any product can do merging of
> > the same source file automatically and flawlessly.
>
> None can do, of course. There are techniques to minimize the problems. The
> most important one is small and frequent commits. These reduce the possible
> conflicts that can not be automatically resolved a lot.

As has been said, the final *algorithmic* merging-action is not affected by the number of commits
leading to it (it seems there is no reasonable way to do something with this
history). However, the likelihood of conflicts and the degree of the conflicts is
diminished in case pushing to the main repository happens often enough.
And, last but not least, once there is a conflict, then conflict resolution
has to be done manually, and then also a more fine-grained history helps,
since one can see better what happened, that is, understand better how the
conflict arose.

Oliver