Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Mercurial?
From: Martin Geisler (mg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-22 06:19:34

Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On 3/21/2012 5:58 AM, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>
>> It's not about concepts, it's about practice. Do you have experience
>> with DVCSs? If not, you probably don't fully understand their
>> concepts and what they allow in practice.
>
> Wonderful. I don't know because I don't have experience, but no one
> can actually explain the technical benefits of these concepts.

In short, it boils down to a more flexible way to work. DVCS is a
superset of centralized VCS in that they allow you to do more than you
could before.

I tried to give a concrete technical example where merging is better in
Mercurial/Git than in Subversion:

I also described some workflow advantages of DVCS. The speed and
flexibility is really the main theme. You have the history locally so
you can use it better. Your commits are local so you can experiment more
freely before you inflict the changes onto others.

--
Martin Geisler
aragost Trifork