Subject: Re: [boost] DCVS vs CVS: call for constructivism
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-23 00:13:56

If I understood correctly your context, a dsvc user would have simply
cloned locally several times his repo (it s basically copy/pasting), one
for each context of work, then work on them separately but maybe at the
same time.
Then merging the histories (in different or same branch, it s not
important) is easily done by making your main work repo pull changes for
the other local repos. Your main repo becomes the authoritative repo of
your work while the others are more like separate works that need to be
merged in the main repo once ready. All this happen only on your disk.

It s better to clone repos locally each time you think you ll work on
branches or youll experiment or work on an eavy feature.
That way you isolate your side work from your normal work and the nature of
dsvc allows you to easilly merge both when it s time, if its a good idea
(sometime you get far in a feature to discover its wrong, so you just
delete the repo and go on).

If your question is more: how do I commit only specific files instead of
everything that changed;
then there are arguments to commit commands to do this.
Im most of the time using tortoise hg so its a bit more graphic to choose
which file goes in which commit.
I do this a lot when I just did a lot of separate semantic changes but
didnt think yet about commiting.
That said, choosing what to commit is the same in svn.

I m not sure I answered your question though.

Joel Lamotte