Subject: Re: [boost] DCVS vs CVS: call for constructivism
From: Philippe Vaucher (philippe.vaucher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-23 05:38:56

> Constructive while insightful would be great, i.e., to hear from people
> have extensive experience with BOTH (kinds of) systems, rather than people
> being used to X and having heard (good and bad rumors) about Y.
>
> I happen to be one; and for me, it is a no-brainer. That is not to say
> that I did not use my brain to some extent while concluding, constructively
> ;-), that Git is far superior to SVN.

As someone with the same experience I can only agree with you.
Unfortunately many boosters seems to express the desire to avoid having to
put many efforts into learning a new tool.

While I disagree with them (constantly learning new stuffs is part of a
developper's job imho), it's hard to tell them they're wrong, especially
since the people objecting are active maintainers.

Honestly, I'm really not sure what will happen... the main problem is that
for people not used to DCVS the current situation is fine, while it is far
from ideal (if not horrible) for the rest. Seems that whatever we choose
some people are going to be hurt. As I said, probably that the best option
would be to serve the repo using multiple protocols, not sure how feasible
it is while satisfying both workflows.

Philippe