Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc]
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-26 12:49:24

From: boost-bounces_at_[hidden] [mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Robert Ramey
>Based on this I really have reservations that GSOC is really useful to boost.

Having gone through stages I through V that Robert describes myself, his description rings true. I'll even admit to having some pathological stubbornness. ;)

I believe that GSOC is useful to boost. There are people who want to go through all five stages, and many of them start that journey while they are students. I think GSOC might help us find perhaps one or two such students per year in addition to the people who would join the community otherwise. I write the rest of the GSOC projects that fail off as the price we pay to find those few. Every engineering endeavor is in a state of failure until it succeeds. Perseverance is how the people who mentor GSOC students got to that position and it is what we are looking for in the students. I don't see us giving up on the quest, it's not in our character.

Regards,
Luke