Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Mercurial?
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-26 23:57:58

On 3/26/2012 6:14 PM, Daniel James wrote:
> On 26 March 2012 06:48, Martin Geisler <mg_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> You can split a Git or Mercurial repository into two new repositories
>> and extract a sub-tree but you're rewriting history when you do it.
>> Rewriting history implies getting new SHA-1 hash values for the
>> changesets (since their content changes) and so you get *new* and
>> unrelated repositories out of this.
>
> git-subtree does annotate commits (in the commit message) so that it
> can track transferring changes between the two repositories. I don't
> know how well it works for transferring changes in both directions.
> But I think it only allows you to extract a single directory; spirit
> would need to extract two: boost/spirit and libs/spirit.

It's frustrating to have to go through all these hoops to do such
a (IMO) trivial and necessary task. I'm now forming a conclusion
that current DVCS systems (both Git and Hg) fail in this regard.
Needless to say, this task is equally frustrating to do with SVN
as well.

All I want to do is to extract a modular Spirit repo from the
monolithic Boost repo, with the ability to easily do upstream/
downstream merges. But I can't do it *easily* with any of
the DVCS mentioned.

I guess it's back to SVN. The amount of hair pulling is the same
whatever D/VCS I try. Oh well...

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman