Subject: Re: [boost] [git] What's the IDE picture like?
From: Stephan Menzel (stephan.menzel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-27 11:11:40

Hi Hartmut,

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Hartmut Kaiser
<hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> As far as ToroiseSVN is concerned this is not entirely true. TortoiseSVN
> exposes not only _all_ of the usual commands svn supports (at least I have
> not stumbled over anything I couldn't do), but additionally has more
> functionality (blame view, logs dimming already merged revisions, etc.) and
> often a more convenient way to present the generated outputs (I'm not sure
> if TortoiseGIT has reached this level of maturity).

In my opinion it has not. I have tried to get windows users on board
by using TortoiseGit to ease transition to git and it did more harm
than good. On the pro side it has an awesome UI and integration and
the features you have mentioned but on the downside it is loaded with
bugs, sometimes severe ones. I have discouraged the team from using
it. Also, it has the problem of using and propagating SVN semantics
and terminology to the point of trying to look like TortoiseSVN to
pretend little has changed instead of embracing and understanding the
change. An example that struck me hard back then would be "revert". A
git revert is an entirely different thing than a svn revert is. Users
have to learn this to prevent accidents. And yet TortoiseGit offers a
'revert', doing what an svn revert would do (more like a git reset
--hard or a git checkout), but beneath the hood of course does the git
equivalent. So it works, but such a new git user will one day discover
the hard way that a revert is not what he or she always thought it
was.

Cheers,
Stephan