Subject: Re: [boost] [guideline] 31 character filenames?
From: Iain Denniston (iain.denniston_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-28 11:13:06

On 28/03/2012 14:50, Beman Dawes wrote:
> Windows maximum for a path is 32,767 Unicode characters in theory, but
> a path longer than 260 (I.E. MAX_PATH) requires special syntax so
> that's a practical limit for some uses.

FWIW "good" Windows applications should be able to read/use 32,767
character paths but only write 260 character paths. Unfortunate as it
may be, a great many applications use the MAX_PATH macro has a hard
upper limit so cannot read longer paths, additionally many of Windows
built-in tools fail to handle long paths correctly - most significantly
Explorer (making it difficult to deal with long paths correctly at all).

Just thought it was worth saying.

Iain