Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Mercurial? easy merging in svn, how about git/hg?
From: Philippe Vaucher (philippe.vaucher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-29 04:53:24

> Why is that bad? At my work we are using svn and I have like 8
> branches (not all of them are currently active I confess.) I put my
> branches not into /branches, but into /users/fbirbacher. This way
> noone has to care about them.

Because once you pushed it's public and you cannot rewrite public history.
Means you cannot fix all the "oops" commits before merging with production.

> With git/hg, when you do a mistake, you simply cancel your local
> > merge and redo it again until you did the right thing, then you
> > push.
>
> This suggests 1st mistakes you do in svn cannot be repaired, and 2nd
> you will spot every mistake in git/hg before you push. As I
> understand, once you push to a public repo and then discover a mistake
> your mistakes will be just as visible as with svn. I agree there is a
> chance to find some errors before publishing, but with svn I spot
> errors in commands I run on my working copy easily before committing.

You're right. I forgot that merges were local with svn and that the result
wasn't commited yet. I was a bit heated about the discussion and went
emotional, which is a bad thing to do. Anyway, what I really was after is
the inability to fix "oops" commits before they go public.

To be honest I think all the pros/cons that had to be made have been made
now, and eventually it's the people who really work on boost that should
decide because they're the firsts affected.

Philippe