Subject: Re: [boost] [svn/git/hg] Support for modularization of Boost?
From: Rutger ter Borg (rutger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-04 04:32:37

On 2012-04-04 09:34, Thomas Heller wrote:

> I forgot one thing ... this whole build-tool support might not be a big
> problem for linux users, as they can easily get the boost modules with
> dependency tracking and such from their distribution. How will this look
> in windows? For boost contributors this might not be a big issue, cause
> it is a one-time setup. What about users who need the latest greatest
> version from version control?
> Please say that I rate this problem too high and that there is an easy
> solution.
> FWIW, I am all for a modularized boost!

Just add a separate repository called "The Boost Libraries", maintained
by the Boost Release Manager team.

Have the library (module) developers maintain a separate branch called
for-release-team, and have the release team pull in and assemble "the
boost libraries", once per release. So the users can just pull in Boost
from a centralized repository. Users shouldn't be bothered with
dependency tracking and other fancy stuff. If really needed, daily
snapshots could be provided, too. Developers, on the other hand, may be
required to be able to pull in the latest stuff from dependent modules.

Cheers,

Rutger