Subject: Re: [boost] [fixed-pt] (was [Review Request] Multiprecision Arithmetic Library)
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-04 16:43:16

Le 04/04/12 13:17, Neal Becker a écrit :
> Here is my current run-time fixed-pt. In this version, fixed-pt bit widths are
> set at run-time, becuase I use this from python. It is simple to convert this
> to compile-time if desired.
>
> The code is based on the boost::constrained_value
>
> http://pastebin.com/tXkeGAMf

Hi,

I have no doubt of the utility of a fixed point library with constraints
given at run-time, but I will prefer that the interface be based on
Range and Resolution (as in
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3352.htm)
instead of in IntegerBits and FractionalBits.

I need sometimes to have fixed points that have less bits than
fractional bits and give negative numbers for IntegerBits or
FractionalBits seems to me counterintuitive. Of course this is just a
point of view and conversion between the different formats could be
provided by the library.

Best,
Vicente