Subject: Re: [boost] Metaprogram benchmarks
From: Gordon Woodhull (gordon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-09 10:16:45

On Apr 3, 2012, at 1:56 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> In order to measure the compile-time efficiency of various C++11
> metaprogramming techniques, I'd like to put together a set of
> benchmarks, and I wanted to discuss here what kinds of tests might be
> appropriate. Aleksey and I came up with some benchmarks for an appendix
> to http://boostpro.com/mplbook/, but some of those are lost and they're
> all getting a bit crusty. Certainly, I have no confidence that they are
> realistic or useful. If anyone has ideas about this, I'd be very
> glad to hear them.

If you have different versions of MPL utilizing different techniques, running the MPL.Graph examples in libs/msm/example/mpl_graph could be a good benchmark.

It's also easy to construct bigger examples if you need them.

I know that Christophe would appreciate finding out how to make the MSM validators run faster! As John Bytheway pointed out, many of the problems we've run into result from an explosion in memory usage.

Cheers,
Gordon