Subject: Re: [boost] [svn/git/hg] Support for modularization of Boost?
From: Andrii Sydorchuk (sydorchuk.andriy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-11 06:39:13

> As far as I can see, scaling Boost up to a much larger number of
> libraries implies decentralization and decoupling, probably in the
> form of per-library modules or something similar.
> Modularization seems to have been missed in the discussions of
> Subversion, Git, and Mercurial. Do distributed version control systems
> in general and Git in particular have any important
> advantages/disadvantages over svn for highly modularized projects?
> Please, let's not waste everyone's time with a rehash of general DCVS
> vs CCVS pros and cons. We have beat that to death. Let's focus this
> thread on modularization support, particularly as it applies to Boost.

Completely agree! I am not sure if I am using the same definition of
"modularization", but here are my thoughts:

I would like to see the top level modularization by category, as the one
listed here: http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/?view=categorized
This should make the library more usable and easier to explore for a new
users. For example its much easier to explore Container libraries in case
all of them
are under top level directory with the same name.

Andrii

Unsubscribe & other changes: