Subject: Re: [boost] [Countertree + Suballocator] New Version
From: Vadim Stadnik (vadimstdk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-13 23:35:09

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 4:01 AM, Francisco José Tapia <fjtapia_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Hi Vadim
>
> I didn't know that works. It looks very interesting.
>
> About you question if it is possible to implement similar augmenting trees
> over the counter_tree ?
> I think yes. It is not very difficult. I suppose it can be done using
> inheritance of the nodes in the tree. With this, you can add additional
> information to the nodes, and with the functions you can do all the work of
> the counter_tree and additional work.

Hi Francisco,

I am sure that you will enjoy this development and the moment when you
first time compare performance of std::accumulate() against
augmented_tree.accumulate().

Even though I develop augmented B+ trees, I think that, it is very
important to have various augmented RB-trees, since they are basic data
structure of many containers in STL. These trees would help understand what
useful extensions they can provide for STL containers and algorithms.

As for implementation approach, you can use whichever you think is the best
one. From my experience, if an approach is correct then development is fast
and smooth.

Keep in mind that there is an interest in data structures with multiple
augmenting (>2). This is certainly possible, but at the moment I do not
know if there is a general approach. Your experience with augmented
RB-trees will be interesting for me.

Regards,
Vadim Stadnik