Subject: Re: [boost] [Review Request] Multiprecision Arithmetic Library
From: Christopher Kormanyos (e_float_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-15 17:12:04

<snip>
>> What I can't figure out, though, is if a floating-point

>> type actually *should* round-trip back from a string in
>> scientific format with (max_digits10 + 1) precision.

Wait, you are right.

And I finally have to solve this problem correctly!
Paul Bristow and I wiere beginning to identify this
problem last year. But I did not identify what may be
the right solution. (See below.)

<snip>
> I'm not sure I follow you - what the std says is:
> static constexpr int digits10;
> 11 Number of base 10 digits that can be represented without change.
> 12 Meaningful for all specializations in which is_bounded != false.

Could you please tell me where this is in ISO 14882:2011?
I can't find it.

<snip>
> Which I take as meaning that if you print at least max_digits10 digits
> then you should always be able to get back to the same unique value.

I agree.

<snip>

> Oh wait.... just looked at the code and I see the issue - you set max_digits10
> to digits10+1 which isn't enough, should be set to cpp_dec_float_total_digits10
> which is the largest number of digits possible in the number right?
> Making that change causes the test to pass, so committing,
> but please advise if that's upping max_digits10 too far ;-)
> Cheers, John.

Wait John.

It took me a long time to finally figure this out. And it gets back to
some of our original work with Paul Bristow. I believe that we actually
need to test for equality to within 1ULP, whereby the ULP in this
case is the least significant, potentially rounded and carried
base-10 "digit" in the limb containing the ULP of least
precision in cpp_dec_float.

I need to actually add more intelligence to

template <unsigned Digits10>
int cpp_dec_float<Digits10>::cmp_data(const array_type& vd) const.

The current equality case includes *all* the guard limbs, even though
some are insignificant. I need to analyze the real number of identical
base-10 digits in LHS and RHS, take rounding into account and test
for equality not until the end of the limbs, but until one max_digits10,
potentially rounded and carried from (max_digits10 + 1).

Can you follow me? Do you agree with this? It shouldn't be
too difficult to implement and I don't anticipate significant
performance loss due to analyzing two limbs in the array
in base-10, possibly in conjunction with lexical conversion.
And I would really like to give this a try.
With your permission, may I try this?
Am I on the right track?

I believe that we are getting cpp_dec_float to behave very much
like a built-in type. I know I keep adding more time to the
development cycle. But I feel that we are still discovering
improvements. In my opinion, we are getting close.

Best regards, Chris.