Subject: Re: [boost] [uuids] On boost::uuids::uuid operator == performance.
From: Michael Kochetkov (michael.kv_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-18 05:09:01

> The approach you suggest is not well-formed C++ and is specific to your
> particular configuration; it might fare worst on others.
Why it is not well-formed C++?

> > 2. the investigation of opinions of boost people (I have made another
> > inquiry in "[boost] [function] The cost of boost::function" thread)
>
> boost::function is heavyweight and has significant costs. If you don't
> need the features boost::function provides, simply don't use it and
> avoid the costs associated with it.
The people I deal with in the real world do not think about its weight. They
just cannot memorize boost::_bi::bind_t<int,int
(*)(int),boost::_bi::list1<boost::arg<1> > > and type it correctly. So they
use boost::function just for convenience.

> > 3. The words on the top of the boost.org page ""...one of the most
highly
> > regarded and expertly designed C++ library projects in the world." -
Herb
> > Sutter and Andrei Alexandrescu, C++ Coding Standards" really need some
> > grounds.
>
> Those are citations from well-known people in the C++ community. They
> themselves are grounds.
They probably have never thought of the problem above. Or they do not care.
I do.

--
Michael Kochetkov