Subject: Re: [boost] [decimal] Proposed portable implementation of std::decimal
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-20 05:06:41

Quigley
> Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:02 PM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] [decimal] Proposed portable implementation of std::decimal

> > Of course this is definitely something Boost needs in its tool chest.
> > But to 'sell' it to Boost, I think it is important to relate to
> commercial offerings and
> > previous proposals to WG21 C++ Standards.
> >
> > So say how and why you have done it differently?
>
> I do not intend to create an implementation - I am simply wiring up the existing DecNumber, Intel
Decimal
> Float implementations (both IEEE
> compliant) to the std::decimal interface. I believe the associated licences are compatible with
boost being
> able to distribute this, but that would be the first thing to be checked.

This is certainly something you need to be *absolutely certain* about before doing anything. Many
users rely on the whole Boost collection being totally free-licensed, so anything with any
uncertainty about licensing is useless. Boost is punctilious about licensing. Perhaps you should
post your assessment here?

> I have no idea how this differs from any other offering (apart from saying I hope it gives
identical results to
> gcc's standard decimal) apart from pointing out I haven't found any C++ wrappers for the decimal
floats
> that I would use 'off the shelf' in the same way I use boost libraries. I'm working on a somewhat
blind
> assumption that if gcc is implementing this interface, it is probably the closest thing to what
will eventually
> end up in the standard.
>
> If there are other implementations that do roughly the same thing, I'd be really interested to
take a look,
> as I've no desire to reinvent the wheel!

I have no knowledge of the subject to contribute.

As far as exposing your work to users, the usual method is to get write access to the boost-sandbox
from a moderator. The layout of the folder and files must conform to the Boost guidelines. Docs
and tests, preferably using Boost.Test are essential. And you will need to find some potential
users - this is a niche area ?

Good luck

Paul

---