Subject: Re: [boost] [preprocessor] Sequences vs. All Other Data Structures
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-22 18:09:38

On 4/22/2012 3:21 PM, Sebastian Redl wrote:

> On 22.04.2012, at 21:05, Edward Diener wrote:

>>> I doubt the latter that would happen. Essentially, because Chaos cannot
>>> be used when targeting VC++, Boost cannot itself use it.
>>
>> This is not completely true. Even though it would provide more work for a library implementor, a library could choose to use Boost Chaos for compilers that support it and choose to use Boost PP for compilers which do not ( including VC ).
>
> What advantage would that give the library implementor over just using Boost PP?

The same advantage C++ programmers get when they use standard library
containers instead of C arrays. They would be using better technology
and promoting that technology. I do know that they would still have to
use Boost PP for compilers that do not completely implement the
preprocessor correctly for C++11, but there is a gratification of using
better technology when one can.

Being held back from using better technology because of compiler
deficiencies, even in a multi-compiler environment, is not my idea of
pleasurable programming.