Subject: Re: [boost] [decimal] Proposed portable implementation of std::decimal
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-27 06:48:16

Quigley
> Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 10:02 AM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] [decimal] Proposed portable implementation of std::decimal
>
> As previously mentioned, the plan is to wire up existing (C interface) packages to a C++
std::decimal,
> raising licensing issues around the 3rd party code.
>
> I don't believe there is an issue, the licences are very short and read like plain English to me.
Also, gcc
> includes both of these in it's implementation, and distributes under an open licence.
>
> I've copy-pasted below the relevant bits out of the EULAs. If anyone thinks there might be an
issue, please
> let me know.
>

> INTEL EULA
>
> Copyright (c) 2011, Intel Corp.
>
> All rights reserved.
>
> Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted
provided
> that the following conditions are met:
>
>    * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
>      list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
>      his list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
>      and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>    * Neither the name of Intel Corporation nor the names of its contributors
>      may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
>      without specific prior written permission.
>

> IBM Licence
>
> Copyright (c) 1995-2012 International Business Machines Corporation and others
>
> All rights reserved.
>
> Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and
> associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction,
including
> without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, and/or sell copies
of the
> Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, provided that the
above
> copyright notice(s) and this permission notice appear in all copies of the Software and that both
the above
> copyright notice(s) and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation.

IANAL but this looks OK to me.

But it might be prudent 'for the avoidance of doubt' (as the lawyers like to say)
to get formal agreement from Intel and IBM to issuing their stuff packaged under the Boost licence?

This might be easier if your (or someone you or Boost knows) has contacts inside the organisation?

Other views?

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,